Former Big Creek United Methodist Church
Est. 1874
Preserved and Maintained by Area Volunteers and Monroe County Historical Society

History
Photos
Events
Rental
Donations

Well over 100 years ago, Methodists living in the Big Creek Valley met at a school house to conduct weekly Sunday School meetings for families in the area. By 1874 the decision was made to organize a congregation and build a church. Minor improvements have been added over the years, such as the addition of a propane furnace, electricity and insulation, but by and large, the building and it's accompanying horse shed have remained very much the same as it was in the 1800's.

The last official services were held at the church in 2003. Soon after, a group of volunteers orchestrated the donation of the building and grounds to the Monroe County Historical Society. Since that time, the building and grounds are maintained by volunteers supported primarily with contributions raised through various fund-raising efforts. Annual activities at the historic site, include an old-fashioned pie and ice cream social held each August and a non-denominational Christmas program.

The building and grounds can be rented for small weddings, receptions, funerals and other activities and can be opened for visits by appointment.


5188 County Hwy. BC, Sparta, WI

Email